“In this day and age, how can we live without considering sustainability? There is no alternative” — Vladimir Kagan, American furniture designer
Are you ready to learn how to create a home that will help you live well in longevity?
Following are some tips to help you create a perfect environment to support the best you as you move further along in your journey. We encourage you to use the guiding principle of “sustainable and maintainable”; and, to ponder design and décor choices that will transform your home into a place that is full of life.
As you ponder, consider the following:
- Healthy Furnishings and Natural Textiles — select toxin-free furnishings. Start asking, “what’s it made of?” when shopping for new additions to your home. Consider furnishings made from grown and renewable material: certified and reclaimed wood, bamboo, cork, palm, thatch. Products made from natural raw materials such as sorghum, cotton, and paper.
Biocomposites made from bast fibers derived from flax, hemp, jute, kenaf, miscanthus, cane, crop straw, bamboo, and cordgrass; leaf fibers from sisal, banana and palm; seed fibers such as cotton, coir, and kapok; wool. Natural paints. Earth and clay. Stones. Lime. Recycled gypsum board
- Mindful Furnishings — place items in your home that bring a sense of joy and serenity. A beautiful fountain. Artwork that expresses your inner spirit. A design vignette that you adore, or a splash of color that enlivens you.
- Natural Linens — try some beautiful organic bedding, bath towels, and throws to caress and pamper you day and night. Extend this natural feel of comfort throughout your home – handy for a nap or a cuddle.
- Healthy Body Boosts — invigorate your body with a Vitamin C showerhead that elevates your daily routine to a whole new level of self-care. Revitalize your energy levels with a Bemer mat that improves microcirculation and promotes blood flow in small blood vessels.
- Fresh Flowers — “live like a flower and foster a happy life”. That’s the finding of studies out of Harvard, Rutgers University, and Texas A&M University. Their research indicates a link between flowers and satisfaction in life.
Flowers in your home can increase happiness, reduce depression, anxiety, and negativity, increase compassion and emotional contact with family and friends, and improve problem-solving skills and creativity. Flowers are a touch of beauty that makes people smile! Place them where you’ll see them often, e.g., your bedside table, bathroom, and kitchen.
- Ergonomics — discover ergonomic, body-friendly furniture that supports your body, makes you feel strong, and keeps you balanced in your environment.
- Color — paint your walls with mood-enhancing colors that make you feel good. Decide how you want to feel in particular room and choose colors accordingly. For relaxation, choose neutral, softer colors. For more energy, consider brighter colors or pops of color.
- Furniture Arrangement — arrange furnishings for safety, comfort and ease. Don’t box yourself in; make it easy to move around freely in your home.
- Clutter Management — clear your clutter. Aim for simplicity (clutter can cause stress) and display/feature only the keepsakes and photos you love. Clean out your closets!
- Lighting — make sure you have adequate sun and lighting that supports both your vision needs and lifestyle. Let the sun shine in to brighten your home naturally.
- Air Flow and Air Quality — improve the quality of the air you breathe while indoors. Indoor air pollution can be from two to five, and in some cases even 100 times, higher than pollution levels outdoors according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Household appliances, building materials, pesticides, herbicides, furnishings glue, fabricated wood, and mold can all contribute to lowering air quality.
Use air purifiers, charcoal filters and house plants to help purify indoor air. The best air purifying plants include purple waffle plant, English ivy, purple heart, foxtail fern and wax plant. For more details read this article.
Install a carbon monoxide detector!
- Electronics — while electronic devices are a huge convenience, offer ease of communication, and safety, be discerning and choose only electronics that best serve your lifestyle.